At system level, thermal functioning is a complex interplay between electrical design determining heat production, mechanical design determining cooling capabilities, and lifetime, performance and use ultimately determining allowable temperatures.
This 1-day short course will focus on early system level thermal design and troubleshooting, answering the typical early-on thermal questions:
- Is this box large enough to handle x watts?
- Do we need a fan ?
- Will this sink work?
- Will component A heat component B ?
- Do we have a feasible product?
- Thermal networks
- Heat generation and heat transfer
- Flow, fans and vents
- Heat spreading in thin geometries: Characteristic Length and Cooling Circle
- Heat exchangers and heating length scale
- Thermal system design
- Worked example